According to Forbes, the cannabis concentrate market is estimated to grow from $3B in 2018 to $8.4 billion dollars by 2022. This is propelled largely by easy-to-use vape cartridges, filled with THC extract inside. Dab pens or vape pen cartridges are convenient, easy-to-use, and provide a superior platform for cannabis extract consumption. Many cannabis consumers turn to vape cartridge pens as a discreet and convenient way to enjoy both the recreational and medicinal benefits of high potency cannabis extracts. Users can simply find a private area, turn their dab pens on, inhale the vapor, and nonchalantly exhale the vapor, which quickly dissipates. In states and markets where adults can purchase cannabis legally, vape cartridges provide a way for cannabis users to try cannabis concentrates in a less intimidating format than dabbing.
The technology core to the dab pen cartridge is the ceramic coil that efficiently absorbs cannabis oils, even at higher, thicker viscosities. Typical vape cartridge coils have electronic atomizers designed to produce rich vapor clouds with deep flavor. Although cartridges can have different connection points for varying battery types, the most-popular connection type is the 510-thread atomizer and is generally a universal connection for batteries and cartridges. 510-thread refers to 10 threads per 0.5mm and is typically 7mm in diameter. To get your vape going, cannabis users will want to connect their vape cartridge to their vape pen battery at the 510-thread connection point.To recharge the battery after use, the cartridge is unscrewed and the battery is then screwed onto the changer using the same 510-thread, however, some batteries have a micro-USB port for charging.
Thanks to their popularity, there’s a wide assortment of options available for users to try different cartridges, exploring the assorted effects and flavor profiles of cannabis strains. Once a cartridge is completed, it's typically disposed of or recycled but the battery is kept, ready for the next cartridge to vaporize.
How Do You Use A Dab Pen?
Dab pens are perhaps the most straightforward way to enjoy cannabis concentrates. For most cannabis consumers, dab pens are easier than rolling a joint and less messy than grinding up flower and loading a bowl. The vapor from dab pens, while producing a cannabis odor, are less smelly than smoke from combustion and the vapor dissipates quickly, making it a more discreet option. Here are some tips on using and purchasing dab pens.
- Make sure the battery is fully charged and the 510-thread connector is clean of any debris. You can use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab to quickly clean it. Failing to clean the 510-thread connector may lead to improper voltages sent to the cartridge and potentially shorting out the heating element of the atomizer.
- Acquire a pre-filled 510-thread cartridge from a legal cannabis dispensary or retailer. There are many options and strains when it comes to the concentrates inside the cartridges with varying effects and flavors. The order ahead dispensary platform I Heart Jane has a great showcase of vape cartridges from the O.pen product line. Alternatively, cannabis users can purchase empty 510-thread cartridges and fill with their own cannabis extracts, typically distillate cannabis oils and live resin oils.
- Remove the 510-thread cartridge from the child-safe packaging and remove any silicone protectors from the mouthpiece and the 510-thread connector.
- Inspect the mouthpiece, 510-thread, and surfaces of the cartridge for any leaking cannabis extract. Cannabis terpenes can act as solvents and may possibly wear any seals on the cartridge. If your cartridge is leaking, immediately replace the cartridge back in the original packaging and return the cartridge from the dispensary it was acquired from for an exchange.
- Screw the cartridge onto the battery at the 510-thread connection point. Do not over tighten as this may damage the cartridge or the battery’s connector.
- Turn on the battery by clicking the button 5 times. On the O.pen 2.0 vaporizer battery, the stylus-style button is located at the bottom of the battery.
- The O.pen 2.0 vape pen battery is draw activated. Simply, place your mouth on the mouthpiece and inhale. On other battery models, you may have to press the button down while inhaling to activate the atomizer.
- Adjust the voltage the battery is sending by clicking the button twice rapidly. As you increase the voltage, more heat is applied to the cannabis oil as it is vaporized. More heat can create large clouds, but may be harsh on the throat and lungs. The O.pen 2.0 vape pen has 4 different voltage settings: 2.4V for low heat, 3.2V for medium heat, 4.0V for high heat, and another special 4.0V “dab” setting.
- After enjoying the cartridge and consuming the perfect dose, you can press the button 5 times again to turn off the battery and stow it away.
How Much Does a Dab Pen Cost?
The cost of the dab pen is the total cost of a pre-filled THC 510-thread cartridge from a legal dispensary and the one-time purchase of the rechargeable battery. Batteries can be purchased online or in-person via a variety of speciality vape shop retailers. Typically cannabis users purchase pre-filled cartridges for $25-70 depending on quality and amount of the extract used. The cheapest vape pen batteries are around $15. However, the batteries on the lower end sacrifice features, like the ability to customize your heat settings. Most experienced cannabis users opt for the ability to control the voltage of their battery, allowing for increased enjoyment of their THC cartridge. The best battery for dab pens is the O.pen 2.0 vape pen battery priced reasonably at $39.99. O.pen batteries deliver consistent, outstanding performance despite being compact and easy-to-use. These batteries are so reliable that each unit comes with a “Friend for Life” warranty which allows users to exchange their O.pen 2.0 for whatever reason with no time limitations. This is especially valuable since batteries can be damaged accidentally or the lithium-ion wears down. Additionally, the O.pen 2.0 battery has a special voltage setting for O.pen’s Fill-it-Yourself Dual Quartz Atomizer Attachment known as “dab mode”. There are other 510-thread cartridges that can take advantage of the “dab mode” too, just double check the packaging. The O.pen 2.0 automatically detects such cartridges and atomizers and prevents non-compatible 510-thread attachments from using the “dab mode”. Users can access the “dab mode” by clicking the stylus button 2 times to cycle through the heat settings.
The Dab Pen High
Dab pens are growing in popularity because it allows cannabis users to discreetly, safely, and consistently enjoy cannabis extracts. Cannabis extracts are the purified cannabinoids from the marijuana flower. Since the cannabinoids are in significantly higher concentration and purity than regular cannabis buds, some consumers report the effects from a dab pen to be 2 or 3 times stronger than smoking flowers. Furthermore, dab pens vaporize the cannabis extracts cleanly without any combustion. The taste of the vapor from a dab pen is not bogged down by ash, or particulates and does not leave a lingering smell. Dab pen users can enjoy a cleaner taste while feeling the effects deeply.
If you're interested in learning more about dab pens and 510-thread vape pens and carts in general you can check out our guide to learn more.