If you’ve come to enjoy the perks of vaping cannabis oil, you may begin to wonder if there’s a more cost effective way to enjoy the benefits of vaping without having to purchase prefilled cartridges. By learning how to make cannabis oil for vape pens yourself, you can easily save money on this costly yet convenient habit.
Below we’ve put together the simplest ways to get started on DIY cannabis vape oil with two step-by-step guides. One method will take an extended period of time versus another that can be done more quickly. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know on how to make cannabis oil for vape pens.
How to Make Cannabis Oil for Vape Pens - Extended Time
The first DIY method for making cannabis oil for vape pens is simpler but takes much longer. The process involves soaking decarboxylated flower in vegetable glycerin for a period of two to three months.
If you have the time to wait, this method is nearly impossible to mess up and is highly effective.
First, gather the following supplies -
- Cannabis flower - you’ll need at least an 1/8th oz or 3.5 g to produce 30-60 mL of cannabis oil for vaping.
- Food grade vegetable glycerin
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- 2 glass jars with airtight lids
- A wooden spoon for stirring
- Fine mesh strainer
- Empty vape cart(s)
Then, it’s time to get started! Here’s how to make cannabis oil for vape pens over an extended period of time.
- To start making cannabis oil, you’ll cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly break up your cannabis flower.
- Set your oven to 250℉ and bake the flower material for 20-30 minutes, or once it’s reached a golden brown color. This step is called decarboxylation or de-carbing and is crucial to the process. As the heat activates the flower’s beneficial cannabinoids for infusion into the liquid.
- Remove the flower from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before adding it to the jars.
- Pour just enough vegetable glycerin into the jars to cover the flower material. You won’t want to use too much, as it will dilute the cannabis oil.
- Stir the mixture and cover with an airtight lid. Add the date to the outside of the jar.
- Store the jar in a dark, cool area for one month. After a month has passed, open the jar, stir the mixture and add around one tablespoon of vegetable glycerin to continue the extraction process.
- After one more month, repeat the process from the previous step and store for one last month (three months in total).
- Once the mixture has soaked for three months, it’s time to strain the cannabis oil. Place the cheesecloth over your mesh strainer, and place the strainer over a glass jar or bowl.
- Next, pour the flower and vegetable glycerin mixture from the jar into the mesh strainer.
- Let it drip completely, and gently squeeze any excess liquid from the cheesecloth.
- At this time, if you’d like to add any natural terpenes or flavoring do so now. Then, with your syringe, soak up the strained liquid and fill your empty 510 thread cartridge for use with a vape pen.
- Attach the mouthpiece to the vape cart, and attach the cart to a vape pen battery to consume as usual.
Of course, if you aren’t patient enough to wait three months for your own DIY cannabis oil - there is another method you can follow. We’ll cover the quick method on how to make cannabis oil for vape pens, next.
How to Make Cannabis Oil for Vape Pens - Quick Method
This method for making cannabis oil for vape pens requires a couple of extra ingredients and has more complex steps. But, it takes far less time and you’ll be vaping on your own DIY cannabis oil before you know it.
For the quick method on how to make cannabis oil for vape pens, gather the following supplies and follow the steps below.
- Cannabis flower material, at least 5-6 grams
- Cheese cloth
- Fine mesh strainer
- Two large mason jars
- A pot for boiling
- Food grade propylene glycol
- High proof grain alcohol - like Everclear (190+, do not use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol)
- A baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Empty vape cart(s)
- Like the first method, the quick method of making cannabis oil for vape pens also begins with the decarboxylation process. Cover your baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly break up your cannabis flower.
- Set your oven to 250℉ and bake the flower material for 20-30 minutes, or once it’s reached a golden brown color.
- Once the flower is decarbed, grind the buds with a standard herb grinder or using a food processor. Avoid grinding to a fine powder, but keep a small coarse texture instead.
- Add the flower to one of the glass jars, and pour in just enough of the high grain alcohol to cover the material.
- Before beginning the next step, it’s best to open a window to keep the room well ventilated.
- To evaporate the alcohol from the mixture, fill up your pot with 3.5-4 inches of water. Place the mason jar in the pot.
- On low heat, boil the water while stirring the flower mixture constantly.
- Continue stirring as the flower material becomes darker in color. Once completely dark, and without any additional alcohol evaporating, remove the pot from the stove and allow the jar and mixture to cool.
- Now you’ll separate the flower material from the liquid. Place the cheesecloth over your fine mesh strainer, and place the strainer over the second glass jar. Squeeze the cheesecloth until all of the liquid has been extracted.
- Next, you’ll transform the alcohol extraction into a cannabis oil that can be vaped. First, add a splash of water to the liquid in the jar, and place it back into the pot on the stove.
- Bring the water bath to a light boil, until there is approximately 5 ml of liquid remaining. You can use your syringe to eyeball the appropriate amount.
- Lastly, you’ll add 20 mg of propylene glycol, and any natural terpenes or flavorings to the mason jar, and the remaining liquid. Once fully combined, remove the jar from the pot and use the syringe to extract the liquid to fill your empty carts with. This method and measurements will make approximately 25 ml of oil for vaping.
With these two simple methods, you can easily make your own cannabis oil for vape pens at home. But that doesn’t mean you may not still have questions. So, let’s answer the most frequently asked questions on making your own cannabis oil for vape pens.
DIY Cannabis Oil for Vape Pens - FAQ
Do You Need To Decarb Flower for Cannabis Vape Oil?
Put simply, cannabis cannabinoids and compounds need heat to become activated. So, similar to lighting a bowl or heating up concentrates with a torch, the plant’s material must be activated before being infused into the carrier oils for vaping cannabis oil.
To do so, the low and slow heating method of decarboxylation is used. With your oven set to low heat, by ‘baking’ cannabis flower it’s ready for infusion into other substances like vegetable glycerin for vaping, or butter and oils for baking in edibles, starting the process for making cannabis oil.
Can You Put RSO Oil In a Vape Cart?
For the most part, RSO, or Rick Simpson Oil is not a suitable oil for vaping due to its potentially flammable ingredients. Using RSO can not only result in a vape pen cartridge with no airflow issue but may also be potentially harmful to your health, and dangerous to consume. Instead, RSO can be consumed orally or topically to harness its beneficial effects.
However, not all RSO’s are made the same. If your RSO is not made with ethanol, or other flammable ingredients you may be able to vape it. Check the exact product’s ingredients on the label before attempting to vape RSO oil to avoid any issues or dangers.
The Final Word on DIY Cannabis Oil for Vape Carts
Now that you know how to make cannabis oil for vape carts, you can be your own DIY connoisseur of strain-specific oils to vape. Plus, you’ll save money from buying pre-filled vape carts from the dispensary. However, you may not experience the same quality of vape as you would from a reputable pre-filled cartridge brand.
When you have your own highly-equipped vape cart battery, all you need is a cannabis oil vape cart to experience effects on the go. Shop O.pen’s premium collection of vape accessories now, to level up your vaping game!